I want to show you a photo of the twins, Callum and Leyla, for whom I have made the quilt that follows. They were born on January 25th to my niece and her husband. Both were just under 4 1/2 pounds. I have to say I never saw any of my own children when they were this small. Mine were the bruiser variety!
And here is the quilt top that is for them. It will go to the quilter later this week.
Here are a few close-ups. I used Special Effects ribbons for the branches, hand-dyed leaves, Thread Gatherer 4 mm silk ribbon for the feet and crest, wool for the beaks, and Thread Gatherer Silken Pearl for the eyes (a bullion stitch). The top measures about 44 by 56 inches.
I have also been having a lot of fun with my papercut block. I have to admit to getting rather obsessive about these!!! I want to see how it is going to look finished! This block is in progress. Both of these sections will then be appliquéd to a taupe background. You'll see next week! (Optimism!)
My son, Harold, drew the outer frame design for me years ago. I finally figured out how I want to use it. There are three more. These will be the four blocks surrounding the center block of a large quilt.
My son, Harold, was also here yesterday. He painted some lace for me. And he did a fabulous job!!! You will see these pieces soon in something I make!
I wanted to have my Challenge blocks finished for the 365 blocks, but I don't. Tomorrow afternoon is slated for catch up on those blocks! I have been collecting a few more fabrics in the lights and darks of the color way I am using. Making those little blocks made me realize how many fabrics I HAVE TO HAVE!!!!
I hope you enjoy what I have been up to. More next week.